Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Inspiration

Some people say that the hardest part of writing is editing, some plotting. For others it's just plain applying ass to chair. But for me, the toughest step has always been the first: finding your inspiration. That singular idea you can't ignore, that starts as a tickle in the back of your mind and becomes an opus in the space of your walk home. Exciting times, and terrifying too. Is it a stupid idea? Unoriginal? Will my friends and family think I'm insane/boring/ripping off Twilight?

Inspiration is a lot like love. Once you're about 20K words in, you and your manuscript get comfortable with each other. Like any relationship, you fight sometimes, go without talking for days on end, pass lazy afternoons in front of the TV. But the beginning is complete infatuation. It still makes my heart pound to remember those first dizzying weeks of inspiration. I remember feeling out of breath and slightly queasy, staring for hours on end at two pages of ideas in single-spaced text and the cursor blink blink blinking at the end, like it's saying "Yeah? What next?"

Inspiration can come from anywhere: dreams, places, people, even other books (as long as you're not too inspired by them, ha). I've been thinking a lot about this lately - about how bad things, hard times, strange experiences can be the best inspiration - so over the next week, I'd like to spend some time thinking about where ideas come from.

P.S. I'll be blogging all this from China! Whoo!

3 comments:

  1. I can't quite pinpoint the exact moment that inspired my current manuscript. It's inspired by a favorite painting, but one day the prologue popped into my head. The rest was much harder :) But it does show how surrounding yourself with all mediums of art can be inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, you're in China??? How perfectly awesome! I've always wanted to go there. Vacation or work?

    I get a lot of inspiration from my own experiences, but often my ideas come from the semi-asleep dreams. I can't tell you how many times I've thought of something just as I was starting to fall asleep. But music is great inspiration, too.

    Have a safe, enjoyable trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely have a hard time coming up with new ideas too. I hope you're having a blast in China!

    ReplyDelete