Friday, June 10, 2011

Hey Sexy New Idea - Want to Hook Up?

Hey sexy new idea,

How's it going? Cool. Yeah, I just broke up with my first novel last week. So...you want to come over later? I could put on one of my favorite playlists, type you out for a few hours. We don't need an outline or anything. Let's just relax. You know. Pants it.

Don't pretend. I know you've been eying me for months now, just waiting for me to dump that other novel. I can't resist you any longer. Your characters are so compelling. You just ooze natural conflict. And, well, I'm not normally this kind of girl, but you just seem so...marketable.

Come on. It'll just be 10,000 words. I promise. But I think once we start you'll find I'm a really...mmm, fast writer.

Oh. You were at Stephenie Meyer's house last night?  Um. That's cool. I mean, I don't mind being the novelist on the side or anything.

Is she, um, going to publish you?

$5 million? Oh. Really? That much? Huh. Well. This is awkward.

Oh okay. Yeah see you around. Maybe in a huge pile in the front of Barnes and Noble, right? Ha ha. Ha. Yeah okay bye yeah.

*cries over unfinished mermaid novel*

 -----------

As much as I miss my dearly departed first (and second) novels, I'm loving my WIP right now (no, it's not really about mermaids). What sexy new idea has you in its lovely python coils?

7 comments:

  1. I'm paranoid if I share the premise of my WIP the word will get out and then fifty people will do a spin-off of the idea for NaNoWriMo and it will become cliche even before I finish the rough draft. :/

    It's exciting having new characters from my WIP speaking to me, but it's so hard to get them to shut up when it's time to go to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA! That double crossing mermaid novel. It's been over here too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, K., that's so true. I'm scared to death that everything I'm working on will become trendy next month and I'll be screwed.

    Kris - You had a mermaid novel? Ahhhh, they're everywhere! Full disclosure- I actually DO NOT have a mermaid novel. But if I did the mermaids would have fangs and octopus tentacles and eat people.

    Seriously though, you two, you need to spill! What are your WIPs? I want to KNOW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A mermaid novel!!! Zombie mermaids!!! What a great idea :D

    How about a MG fantasy about a talking teddy bear, a group of freak outcasts, a stolen baby, and all based around the general concept of the loss of innocence and reaching an age of non believing? Does that sound marketable? I hope so, it's my new WIP :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ba ha ha ha! Julia, you're hilarious.

    I'm very much in love with my current WIP. Every day when I'm done writing, I want to shout "THIS IS SO FREAKIN' AWESOME!" (Yeah, it's the honeymoon stage.)

    I'm not sharing details yet, but I put up an audio/visual representation on my blog yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in between novel relationships right now. I'm still waiting for the next one to saunter over, but I suppose I should probably start to flirt or it'll never know I'm interested.

    Truth is, I'm still kinda hooked on novel #1. Trying to repair the relationship, fix it up.

    Fabulous that you are loving your WIP now though. Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is she really doing lesbian mermaids? I was going to make a MINT!

    ReplyDelete